Top 10: Bridget Jones Quotes
With the up and coming release of Bridget Jones’s Baby I thought I would put together a list of my favourite quotes from the previous two films, Bridget Jones Diary and Bridget Jones: Edge of Reason. The first film I remember not enjoying when I first saw it but grew on me in time for Edge of Reason. Not forgetting starting my love for Colin Firth, oh Mark Darcy!
The thing with Bridget Jones is that it takes a pretty normal woman and that means everyone will be able to relate with some of the stupid things she says and/or does. It is very British at times as well, which just makes it even better. I read the two books many years ago, they really are written in such a fantastic way!
10. [answering phone]
Bridget: Bridget Jones, wanton sex goddess, with a very bad man between her thighs… Mum… Hi.
9. Bridget: I’m so sorry. I didn’t mean it. Well, I meant it, but I was so stupid that I didn’t mean what I meant… After all, it’s only a diary. Everyone knows diaries are just… full of crap.
Mark Darcy: Yes, I know that. I was just buying you a new one.
8. Bridget: I will not fuck it up again, Mum.
Mum: Bridget! Language!
Bridget: Sorry. I will not fuck it up again… mother.
7. Bridget: Well, uh… I just wanted to tell Mr. Darcy that I heard what magnificent work he actually did, releasing me from prison. Tiny… tiny misunderstanding to do with an enormous stash of cocaine. And I also wanted to say, since having found out that his girlfriend is actually a lesbian, that I love him. Always have. Always will. And that I’m, you know, available for dates if he should feel so inclined.
6. Bridget: Friends – they spend years trying to find you a boyfriend, but the moment you get one, they instantly tell you to dump him!
5. Bridget: You think you’ve found the right man, but there’s so much wrong with him, and then he finds there’s so much wrong with you, and then it all just falls apart.
4.Bridget: You are angry.
Mark Darcy: No, I’m not angry, I’m just disappointed.
Bridget: Disappointed? Oh, God, that’s worse than angry.
Mark Darcy: I’m just disappointed I can’t take you home this instant.
3. Mark Darcy: I don’t think you’re an idiot at all. I mean, there are elements of the ridiculous about you. Your mother’s pretty interesting. And you really are an appallingly bad public speaker. And, um, you tend to let whatever’s in your head come out of your mouth without much consideration of the consequences… But the thing is, um, what I’m trying to say, very inarticulately, is that, um, in fact, perhaps despite appearances, I like you, very much. Just as you are.
2. Bridget: Wait a minute… nice boys don’t kiss like that.
Mark Darcy: Oh, yes, they fucking do.
1. Bridget: It is a truth universally acknowledged that when one part of your life starts going okay, another falls spectacularly to pieces.
This one I often think about as it really does seem to be true, everything never works out in life all that same time something always seems to go wrong. What are your favourite quotes from Bridget Jones’ world?