Oscars 2016 – Best Supporting Actress

oscars-1_zpsex6yqsek

The main problem for this category in my opinion is that two of the nominees (Mara and Vikander) weren’t actually in a supporting role and were actually leading roles. I am pretty sure a lot of people will agree on that especially if you have seen the performances.

Jennifer Jason Leigh – The Hateful Eight

tumblr_o1u9vkag3h1s7xfipo7_400_zpsrcgjiqud

She gets beaten up, cover in well pretty much anything and everything and manages to pull off a pretty impressive performance as the only female in the film. I enjoyed this film a lot more than expected and pleased it got recognised for at least one performance.

Rooney MaraCarol

tumblr_o36q007pob1qio9kwo3_500_zpsbmpdwsuz

As I mentioned earlier I think it’s wrong Mara is in as supporting considering she has as much screen time as Blanchett in Carol. But this has to be so they weren’t up against each other? As Mara puts in a very impressive performance as the young woman trying to deal with her feelings and understand the different turns her life has taken.

Rachel McAdamsSpotlight

tumblr_o36oht2h821v9bufno1_1280_zps4uh6drdx

A standout performance from a very well casted film, I think its great to see McAdams in this type of film. It really allows her to show that she really is a good actress and I am certainly pleased she has picked up the nomination for her work on Spotlight.
Alicia VikanderThe Danish Girl

tumblr_o37nikwvgx1v9dopco1_500_zpso2z7a2ee

Again it annoys me that this is supporting considering she has just as much screen time as Redmayne. Especially when the film is truly awful and boring from start to finish. Vikander was the only thing I thought deserved any credit from The Danish Girl but I certainly will not be happy if she picks up an Oscar for her efforts wasn’t even her best performance of 2015!
Kate Winslet – Steve Jobs

'Steve Jobs' film - 2015

If I didn’t already respect and like Winslet before watching this film, she gained even more from her performance up against Fassbender, in a fast paced dialogue driven film. Really holding her own and stealing scene after scene. A perfect supporting performance in my opinion and I am really rooting for Kate to pick up another Oscar!

Who I want to win: Kate Winslet

Who I think will win: Alicia Vikander (will annoy me a lot if it happens)

Outside chance: Rachel McAdams

Who do you think will win?

1. gibra9948

For me the standout performance was Alicia Vikander but I agree with you she should have been in the leading actress category (as with Rooney Mara). Kate Winslet is also a favourite after winning the BAFTA. Very difficult to call.
    Like to win – Alicia Vikander (sorry!)
    Will win – Alicia Vikander (sorry again!)

February 28, 2016 at 4:51 pm

Haha that’s ok I don’t mind that’s your pick for the award. Just annoyed me with the whole supporting/leading thing which seems to happen more with the female category than the male.

February 28, 2016 at 5:03 pm

2. Between these choices I personally would like to see Rooney Mara win for Carol, even though she really should be put in the best actress category. Though I have a feeling that Alicia Vikander will end up winning.

February 28, 2016 at 5:50 pm

Mara was rather haunting in Carol and I wouldn’t be too disappointed if she won. I just really don’t want Vikander for The Danish Girl as truly hated that film.

February 28, 2016 at 5:55 pm

• Just out of curiosity, what did you hate about the Danish Girl? While I did have some problems with the script, which lacked something (I can’t tell what it was) and wasn’t paced well, I thought the performances managed to rise above the flaws of the film.

February 28, 2016 at 6:38 pm

Mainly Redmayne in all honesty I have really grown to not be able to stand anything about him. Thought he was massively overrated in The Theory of Everything for his win last year. The Danish Girl just lacked real emotion for me as you said about the script, Vikander was the only good thing.

February 28, 2016 at 6:42 pm

• Okay, thanks for clarifying that for me.

February 28, 2016 at 6:46 pm

I think I should have just avoided the film as didn’t think I would enjoy it. Was sick of the trailer being attached to everything as well.

February 28, 2016 at 6:47 pm

3. Stephen McDonald

I wanted to like The Danish Girl but I didn’t.Eddy Redmayne performance especially the emotional bits I have seen before and there is danger of the same character being In numerous films.Vikander played an amazing part however I understand the best actress,supporting actress bit, but Vikander deserved to be recognized for her amazing acting all be it in the wrong film.Her role in Testament of Youth was away better than this however with such great reviews why did that movie flop so badly taking only 29000usd in its first two weeks of its release in the USA.

March 3, 2016 at 3:06 am

I really didn’t enjoy The Danish Girl at all, not a fan of Redmayne one bit as an actor or a person the way he comes across on talk shows is pathetic. Have you seen Ex Machina? As Vikander is amazing in that as well!

March 3, 2016 at 10:51 pm

• Steve McDonald

I saw ex machina right after Testament of Youth and really like the twist, but I have to say TOY is still my favorite.
        I listened to an interview with her talking about Ex Machina and she arrived in makeup at 3am sat in a chair with a tennis ball for a headrest went to sleep and woke up as a robot.Apparently not much green screen at all.
        I am sure there is a scandal behind the failure of TOY.Love to know the full story.

March 4, 2016 at 10:38 am

• Steve McDonald

On another note I don’t think best or supporting actor is based on minutes on the screen.
          I think it is all agreed when contracts are signed . Oscar just follows the agreed pecking order.

March 4, 2016 at 10:43 am

It’s supposed to be on screen time but up to the studios and production companies where they push them (best chance of winning) like not having Rooney Mara up against co-star Cate Blanchett when they were both leading roles.

March 4, 2016 at 11:06 am