DC Universe – Will it be able to rival Marvel?

It has eventually started to happen, well actually DC started the universe back in 2013 with Man of Steel but in all honesty I didn’t realise that at the time. I mean come on we had a failed Superman attempt years before that with the awful Superman Returns. So another Superman attempt wasn’t a big thing. Well actually it turns out it was a huge thing!

From next year 2016, DC have slated in 10 films to release in four years. Now that really is making a statement and giving the audience a lot of new characters. Although some characters we may have seen in the past but I am very interested to see how it is all going to play out. Over the weekend because of the incredible Comic Con, Warner Brothers have spoilt us with two incredible trailers for next year’s releases. Those being Batman v Superman and The Suicide Squad.

2016

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

Yes I am really posting this trailer again. But watch it. Again. I have actually watched it a few times now, which is probably crazy as I can imagine it being attached to so many films in the build up to the release next year, but it really does look like it’s going to be epic. Let’s hope it can live up to the early hype they have placed around it. The best thing has to be Wonder Woman’s first appearance, we need to kick ass female superheroes!

Since the release of the trailer on Saturday I have seen pretty mixed views on how the film is going to go. But I am very positive and think that what DC are putting together is going to be a very dark journey, which will be a change from the lighthearted and jokes that Marvel have in their universe. I think we need a little bit of a change with some new characters and moments.

The Suicide Squad

Now this trailer is even more impressive and fair play to Warner Brothers for releasing it after it had been leaked. Just wow honestly, Harley Quinn is probably the biggest talking point for this one. Yes really, although I do love how teasing they are with the Joker and how you only get a small glimpse. But seriously though would you even begin to guess it was Jared Leto if you didn’t already know?

I mean it feels like forever since we had the above photo released at a first look. But to eventually hear his evil voice and how it is all going down is pretty impressive. I like that we now have a little bit more information about The Suicide Squad and more of an idea why it has been set up. Starting to create the links in the universe and how it is going to move forward. I have to admit I wasn’t too sure about this one either, but with that trailer I wish we didn’t have over a year to wait to actually see the film now. So teasing!

2017

Wonder Woman

It does feel like forever that we have heard rumours about a Wonder Woman film. Well we will eventually be getting one after her appearance in Batman V Superman. She gets her own outing (and rightly so) before the first Justice League. It really is about time we got a proper female superhero with her own film, yes I know I sound like a feminist with that. But we really have missed out on a proper kick-ass female. The less said about Batgirl in Batman & Robin the better! A lot of hype has already been placed around this, I will be watching closely as we get more for this film in the next two years.

Justice League Part One

This is DC’s equivalent of the Avengers, so we get plenty of Superheroes in one film. I guess it is difficult to guess what the story will be like in this one and we will have to see the other three films first which will fill in the gaps and be rounded up in Justice League. Come on you have to be excited about this at the very least?

2018

The Flash

This is going to be totally separate from the TV series that DC have launched, something I like keeping the two worlds apart. So it does make you wonder the point of the TV series? But never mind they need a film version I guess to help with the characters for Justice League part two. I guess it will not be anything like Flash Gordon, which lets face it still has a bit of a cult following.

Aquaman

A totally new superhero in terms of films and I must admit that my knowledge is not fantastic of this one. Other than I just bought the character on Injustice: Gods Amongst Us, yes I am still pretty obsessed with that game on my iPad! So that is something these films can all link to really.

2019

Shazam

Aka Captain Marvel. I am starting to show my lack of knowledge of some characters, but hey that can only be a good thing when it comes to the films as at least I am going to get some new superheroes in my life. You can never really complain about that being a bad thing at all.

Justice League Part Two

This will all then link back up to the Justice League, I am guessing the films we get in-between will see those characters joining Justice League?

2020

Cyborg

Another which will be a pretty new outing and I don’t have a massive amount of knowledge but quite an interesting character by the looks of him.

Green Lantern Corps

We are going to get to see Green Lantern again but this one seems very different to the Ryan Reynolds attempt, we will be getting quite a lot of Green Lanterns in this one and this is how far DC have let us in on so far. Was that first film really that bad? Or just misunderstood, I think we’ve had worse superhero films in all honesty.

As we can see DC really have put in a lot of work to the films over the next five years. It has taken them a long time to get their act together to rival Marvel with the Universe but I certainly think it is going to be well worth the wait. Some of Marvel’s may just be getting a little stale now how much longer can they keep the interest up and it all going? I think we are going to see some really dark films from DC and it will take everything to a new level. I certainly do think the films are going to be a lot darker than Marvel opted for. I am very excited to see if the films can live up to hype and create a new universe which we want to be part of, so I think they will try very hard to rival Marvel. But is it too little too late?

1. There’s nothing wrong with being a feminist, bring on Wonder Woman

July 15, 2015 at 8:49 am

She looks class!!!

July 15, 2015 at 12:18 pm

2. Does it have to rival Marvel?

July 15, 2015 at 10:12 am

I think to be successful it has to be on par as they’ve set the bar high

July 15, 2015 at 12:18 pm

• True… True.

July 15, 2015 at 12:19 pm

• Yeah, Marvel and Dc are two completely different styles, one light one dark (resisting reference to the day and night line here) and the films get released at different times to the Marvel ones so they are not against each other. I’m not a big fan of the comics but I people seem to be worried about lex lther. What do you think of Jessie Eienbergs casting?

July 15, 2015 at 2:21 pm

I think it’s a bit of a strange choice, but still haven’t got my head around Ben Affleck being Bruce Wayne/Batman. But let’s face it I was unsure of Heath Ledger being cast as the Joker and we all know how that turned out!!!

July 15, 2015 at 2:37 pm

• Indifferent yet worried.

July 15, 2015 at 3:18 pm

3. I’m really excited to see what DC do, I’ve grown a bit tired of Marvel and I’m really appreciating the darker tone the DC films seem to have, I particularly love the production design involved in Suicide Squad, it looks brilliant! I hope Margot Robbie can do Harley justice.

July 15, 2015 at 4:07 pm

Yeah it should be interesting to see the darker tone 🙂

July 15, 2015 at 4:56 pm

4. I feel like I’m the only one who loved Man of Steel and rewatching it recently I saw the potential for the DC film universe. Of course it all hinges on how BvS turns out but I like the fact that DC/Warners are taking a different approach from Marvel – don’t get me wrong I love what Marvel do but if DC did exactly the same, what would be the point?

Personally I do prefer the edgier slightly darker tone of Man of Steel – so long as there’s still an underlying sense of hope.

July 15, 2015 at 6:05 pm

I can see your point about them doing the same thing! I think I should give Man of Steel another go!!

July 15, 2015 at 6:45 pm

5. It’s interesting to think about, I think 2016 may be the turning point and we might see audiences lean more towards DC, not that their films are necessarily better but they’re bringing a different style of comic book movies that people seem to be pretty excited for already.

Can’t wait to see BvS and Suicide Squad myself.

July 16, 2015 at 11:34 am

I’m certainly looking forward to the different and darker tone. Very reserved about the release of Ant Man tomorrow!

July 16, 2015 at 12:44 pm

• Same here, I think DC brings more edgy villains and grounded stories. Well it is a gamble for Marvel going for a pretty different character but I think it looks like fun.

Are you gonna watch it first day?

July 16, 2015 at 12:58 pm

Yeah I will be, so not long to find out how it is!

July 16, 2015 at 1:25 pm

6. I wasn’t the biggest fan of Man of Steel, but the BvS trailer looks very, very promising. I’m more of a Batman fan than a Superman one, so if the film features a bit where the Dark Knight manages to kick Supes’ ass, I’ll be happy.

Everyone else seems to love that Suicide Squad trailer, but it doesn’t do very much for me. Harley and the Joker look great, but I could take or leave all the rest. I really liked David Ayer’s last film though, so I’ll give it the benefit of the doubt.

July 16, 2015 at 11:57 am

I am totally team Batman too always been my favourite superhero. Let’s hope Affleck doesn’t let us down!

July 16, 2015 at 12:43 pm

7. DC will rule the next few years. Or fail miserably. Depends what they do. I think they’ll knock Batman v Superman out of the park 😀

July 18, 2015 at 2:56 pm

Great thoughts on it! Think your right, hope they shine and rule for a few years.

July 18, 2015 at 8:00 pm

8. Interesting post yo. I will admit that I am a Marvel fan first and foremost, it was just the way I was brought up. That being said I was a big Batman fan and pretty big supporter of Superman too in the 90’s. Batman, I have automatic love for, I’ll be down for any adaptation with that character in it. The rest of the DC comic characters are a little harder to sell to me beyond Superman, The Flash and Martian Manhunter. The only reason I’m interested in a DC live-action film universe is because of what I’ve seen in Justice League and Young Justice, it makes want to see what filmmakers could do to make them relatable and cool for people who aren’t fans of the comics.

One think I don’t want from these DC films is for all thesefilms to be “dark and gritty” just to be “adult” or differentiate themselves from Marvel. There has to be a reason behind the tone, in Man of Steel it worked and I think things will work in Batman v Superman as well. But I’m mainly interested in Suicide Squad, if that film works like I hope it will, then it will open the flood gates to potential stories in the DC film universe.

July 20, 2015 at 11:20 pm

Thanks for the comments! Great to hear your opinions on it with you being a big marvel fan!

July 21, 2015 at 7:25 am