Top 10 – When Harry Met Sally Quotes
This is one of those films which has grown on me over the years. It took me a while to catch up and watch it, but I am so pleased I have. The more I watch it the more I love it and think it’s a pretty incredible film, the script is fantastic which has led to this blog post. So many fantastic lines and conversations that it was actually very difficult to just pick 10 quotes from this film! Billy Crystal really can deliver a line and I am sure you will notice a lot of these come from the wisdom of Harry. If you haven’t seen this film, you really need to. Let’s Go To The Movies Review – if you want to read more about it.
10. This does not fail to crack me up every time, when Harry is talking to Jess about a woman he slept with.
“You made a woman meow?!” (Jess)
9. Do we all believe this?
“What I’m saying is–and this is not a come-on in any way, shape or form–is that men and women can’t be friends because the sex part always gets in the way.” (Harry)
8. Another fantastically cute and brilliant one from Billy Crystal, this makes me smile that he is trying so hard to talk to Sally, it gives us hope that men can want you more.
“The fact that you’re not answering leads me to believe you’re either (a) not at home, (b) home but don’t want to talk to me, or (c) home, desperately want to talk to me, but trapped under something heavy. If it’s either (a) or (c), please call me back.” (Harry)
7. The relationship that forms between Marie and Jess is a good one as well, so love this little quote when they realise they now have someone they want to be with forever.
“Tell me I’ll never have to be out there again.” (Marie)
“You will never have to be out there again.” (Jess)
6. I wonder if many people actually do this? Sometimes I find myself getting the urge to cheat haha.
“When I buy a new book, I read the last page first. That way, in case I die before I finish, I know how it ends. That, my friend, is a dark side.” (Harry)
5. That is probably true when your massively comfortable with someone, although in the film it is awkward between Harry and Sally in the restaurant.
“It is so nice when you can sit with someone and not have to talk.” (Harry)
4. I absolutely love the freak out from Sally with this one and it is totally logic only a woman could come out with, and how we get when we are hysterical. I could easily see myself reacting like that to something (and probably have in all honesty).
“And I’m gonna be 40!” (Sally)
“In eight years!” (Harry)
3. Harry and Sally discussing orgasms, I can imagine this and what followed terrified men all around the world. How will they ever know if it’s real now?
“Most women at one time or another have faked it.” (Sally)
“Well, they haven’t faked it with me.” (Harry)
“How do you know?” (Sally)
“Because I know.” (Harry)
“Oh. Right. Thats right. I forgot. Youre a man.” (Sally)
“What was that supposed to mean?” (Harry)
“Nothing. Its just that all men are sure it never happened to them and all women at one time or other have done it so you do the math.” (Sally)
2. No explanation needed for this one! Unreal response to Sally showing women can fake orgasms.
“I’ll have what she’s having.”
1. I have cheated a little with this one and put two fantastic quotes in first place. Harry’s incredible speech to Sally followed by Sally’s equally incredible response. Honestly I had no other option but to pick this in top spot! Isn’t that what you want any man to say to you? Of course it is.
“I love that you get cold when it’s 71 degrees out. I love that it takes you an hour and a half to order a sandwich. I love that you get a little crinkle above your nose when you’re looking at me like I’m nuts. I love that after I spend the day with you, I can still smell your perfume on my clothes. And I love that you are the last person I want to talk to before I go to sleep at night. And it’s not because I’m lonely, and it’s not because it’s New Year’s Eve. I came here tonight because when you realise you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible.” (Harry)
“You see? That is just like you, Harry. You say things like that, and you make it impossible for me to hate you.” (Sally)
Is your favourite not on the list?